Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Music and fish

Hey all!


I know I just posted yesterday, but I forgot to include a selection of the songs I found myself listening to when I was baking. I basically just put my entire iTunes library on shuffle, and these are some of the songs that came up:


Rip Your Heart Out, Acute
Hometown Glory, Adele
Ventura Highway, America
Shadow, Ashlee Simpson (please don't judge me)
Black Water, The Doobie Brothers
Girl with One Eye, Florence + The Machine (does that make up for the Ashlee Simpson?)
The Second Time Around, Frank Sinatra
Eleanor Put Your Boots On, Franz Ferdinand
Broken Hearted Hoover Fixer Sucker Guy, Glen Hansard (from the soundtrack to the movie Once)
Serious, Gwen Stefani
Curbside Prophet, Jason Mraz
Dancing in the Moonlight, King Harvest
Give Me Anything, The Maine
Put Your Head on My Shoulder, Michael Bublé
Giddy Up, NSYNC
City, Sara Bareilles
No Man's Woman, Sinead O'Connor
Atomism, White Light Riot


Overall, it was very chill, thoughtful music, leaning towards a little sad. Which was weird, because my first choice for baking/cooking is either something happy, funky and oldies, or folksy but upbeat. If you have suggestions, please let me know! I hear Fleet Foxes and Bon Iver are pretty good...


Tonight I was left to cook dinner for myself and my brothers. I went with individually packaged frozen tilapia in a lemon pepper marinade, to which I improvised and added a light Parmesan and panko crumb crust. All seemed to be going well, until a) I realized after the fish was almost done that I forgot to turn on the rice cooker, b) I almost gave myself a steam burn, and c) the fish was not done after the minimum cooking time, nor the maximum. It took nearly 20 minutes. And for tilapia, that worried me, because it is a very delicate fish that does not require a lot of baking. But eventually it seemed cooked enough, my brothers did not complain about any cold or slimy parts in their fillets, and no one has gotten sick yet *knock on wood*. No pictures because by the time the food was all ready to eat I was not going to run upstairs for my camera. 


Tomorrow may involve yet another batch of chocolate chips cookies, because an elderly family friend (basically, my surrogate grandmother) has requested half a recipe's worth for herself and her gentleman friend. The last cookies of last week's batch have been gone for a few days now, so we'll have another 3 dozen for a little road trip this weekend. Then I think I'll have to hold off on the cookies for a couple weeks, for the sake of my waistline and my parents'/my wallet (I am going to plow through ingredients like a madwoman if I keep this pace up). I'm also hoping to make pasta with pesto sauce for dinner tomorrow night. I will try to have photos of the process for that one. 


I applied for six jobs today, bringing my application total up to 8. I really hope that something comes through for me, and soon. I worry that I may be getting addicted to applications, though- even after I knew I'd exhausted my best options for the evening, I kept looking. Ack!


The word for tomorrow is efficiency. I spend a lot of time dallying and sitting on my butt when I could be doing lots of things- sending my résumé to a contact of mine who offered to pass it around if she heard of anything, returning my rented textbooks to their original online site, emailing old teachers and mentors, journaling, exercising, and so on. Hopefully tomorrow I can get up and get moving and get off this beautiful Mac of mine.


Good night, lovelies!
Imara


P.S. Here's a quote to keep you going, especially if you've encountered any difficult or challenging things lately: 
Things are only impossible until they're not.
Jean-Luc Picard'Star Trek: The Next Generation'

2 comments:

  1. I'm impressed by your willingness to try cooking fish. I always get nervous that I'll mess something up and end up killing everyone whenever I think about trying. Also, love the Star Trek quote. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sofia,
    I'm actually less afraid of cooking fish than I am of cooking other meats, like beef, chicken, and pork. I feel like compared to other mass-produced foods, fish is relatively clean. And thank you for appreciating the Star Trek quote- I knew a few of you would.

    ReplyDelete