Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Here it goes again

Hello, friends! (and I really mean friends, because you're the only ones reading this)
So today I began the fitness portion of my resolutions. So far, I've been very good about reading the newspaper, which was one of the resolutions that I mentioned in my previous post. The New York Times online is my best friend. I know A LOT about Tunisia. And Tucson.
But anyways, back to fitness. I just couldn't bring myself to get started until I got back into classes and a regular routine. And I have to say, I was pretty dang lazy the past couple of weeks. Physical activity was at a real minimum, and my nutrition was definitely not the best. But that's all changing starting today!
Before I go further:
DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A FITNESS OR NUTRITION EXPERT BY ANY MEANS. THIS IS IN NO WAY AN ADVICE BLOG. I DO NOT EXPLICITLY ENDORSE ANY PROGRAM OR METHOD. I AM ONLY SHARING MY EXPERIENCE AND WHAT WILL HOPEFULLY WORK FOR ME.
Now that I've got that out of the way, I consider today a moderately good day on the fitness front. I had a really great workout, and my meal choices were rather healthy. I am trying to follow the food suggestions given by the Body By Glamour program. For the first week of the program you're supposed to "detox," but not like crazy, drink-grapefruit-juice-and-eat-nothing-but-wheatgrass kinda detox. The idea is "to eat as many whole foods as possible" and to lay off added sugar, salt, refined foods like bread and pasta, sweets, red meat, and fatty foods like cheese. So today, for lunch, I had fish, brown rice, broccoli, an apple, and some low-fat blueberry yogurt, and skim milk to drink. And I felt satisfied and healthy. It powered me through the hardest workout I've had in a long time. And then I had a banana post-workout and a similarly healthy dinner.
After dinner is where I have a hard time. I'm used to having dessert before bed, usually ice cream or pie or cookies or something. Since I didn't have dessert with my dinner, I found myself having a few holiday Hershey's kisses and Reese's cups that were left over in my desk before Christmas. I'm not beating myself up about it- four Hershey's kisses and two mini Reese's cups are not going to derail my whole fitness plan. But this pattern of being hungry after dinner and before bed is something that I'm going to have to work on. I may need to find a healthy nighttime snack to hold me over and keep myself from sneaking sweets late at night.
Enough with food and exercise. I'm back in classes tomorrow, which means that I get to work on another one of my resolutions: meeting more people! Don't get me wrong, I love the girls that I have right now, but I think we're all looking to expand our circle a little bit more. New people are always exciting. So here's to that!
I hope that you all have a great week doing whatever you're doing. Please comment so that I know you're reading this, but keep it anonymous.
And here's a quote for you to think about as you make and keep your resolutions:


"Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance."

Samuel Johnson
English author, critic, & lexicographer (1709 - 1784) (from quotationspage.com)

Much love,
Imara

No comments:

Post a Comment